Montana Prep Athletes of the Week: District Championship Version
Excuse me just a moment. I’m busy winding up the clock for this week.
This is something I do every 7-8 days, always at this time of the week, when we are preparing to select the best male and female student-athletes of the past week (or two).
It makes me jump…and when you’ve been on this earth for almost 2/3 of a century, jumping around – on one or two feet – can be dangerous to my health and well-being.
So, let’s start our little clambake by announcing the winners of last week’s vote: Jori Clary from Shelby and Brock Hanford from Fort Benton.
Jori defeated Cut Bank’s Mariah Wahl and Great Falls High’s Julia TenNapel, while Brock faced Great Falls High’s Brendan Lockart and CMR’s Rogan Barnwell.
We will have one state champion and five district champions from the three boys and three girls you find in the ballot boxes that will appear on your computer screen once you log into www.greatfallstribune.com and find this story. You know the exercise that follows: choose your favorite athlete, click on the “VOTE NOW” button at the bottom of the poll box, and VOILA! (Not to be confused with VIOLA – not only a former MLB pitcher, but also a nice little musical instrument. You can google it later.)
This week’s voting will end at noon this Saturday, February 26, but you can vote as many times as you like until then.
Now, then… without further ado, let’s meet the three girls vying for Athlete of the Week:
- AZZIA ROWLAND, Geraldine-Highwood basketball: Senior 5-10 Geraldine put up some impressive numbers to lead the Rivals past Great Falls Central in Saturday’s District 8C girls’ consolation game: 20 points (13 in the fourth quarter) , 19 rebounds and a steal.
- NATALIE KOLSTE, Fairfield Basketball: Natalie shined in the District 1B Women’s Championship game against Cut Bank with a 15-point performance.
- KYLA MOMBERG, Box Elder basketball: Kyla had 22 points, six rebounds and six steals as the Lady Bears defeated the Chinook Sugarbeeters for the District 9C Women’s Championship.
And here are the three male candidates:
- BEN WOLDTVEDT, Great Falls High swimmer: The Bison senior capped off his high school swimming career with a gold medal in the 100-yard freestyle and a second-place finish in the 100 butterfly at the state swim meet there two Saturdays.
- BRODY GEER, Roy-Winifred basketball: The senior had 16 points, including a 3-point lift from beyond midfield, and the final rebound to give the Outlaws the District 8C Boys’ Championship on Belt.
- FRANKIE CALF BOSS RIBS, Heart Butte Basketball: Frankie helped the Warriors earn the 10C District title and a berth in this week’s Northern C Divisions with 16 in the Finals against Dutton-Brady.
Once again, the ballot boxes will turn into pumpkins this Saturday noon, but don’t hesitate to vote, vote again and vote again.
To nominate a deserving student-athlete for Athletes of the Week, simply email me at [email protected] or [email protected], and include name, school, grade level, and sport of the student, as well as what he/she has done that deserves recognition.
Also remember that a student-athlete can only be nominated ONCE per school term (late August through Memorial Day), regardless of the number of sports they participate in.